Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 X5M

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks335i View Post
104k on 2012 50i. Been pretty sound so far. Had the large "service" recall at around 80k miles. Since then it's had some vacuum lines replaced and a new seal on the front diff. Otherwise standard maint items. Am starting to have some odd vibrations though and dreading that it's the T case. Wait and see.
Good to see some high mileage 50i's w/ minimal issues. No real issues w/ mine either, but I'm only at 50K miles. Have you had your Valve Guide Seals replaced?
I had never heard of this issue before. Had to do some searching.

Looks like this was a larger issue for the N62 but isn't totally gone in the N63.

Clearly with mileage we drive a lot of highway miles which seems to go well for the seals. Also not always in a super hot climate like Florida. Furthest south we run is SC.

Only thing with smoking I have seen is on start up there is quite a bit of smoke for the first couple seconds. We had been averaging 7-8k miles before needing to add a quart. Lately that seems to be coming down but we just moved to the city so slightly more stop and go.

This is certainly something to watch for. We are really only trying to hold onto this vehicle for one more year or most 35k more miles. Mostly hoping to hold for the new X5 to come so we can pick up the current model for reasonable price or move to a RR/RRS as that is what she wants next.

The independent shop I am taking it to tomorrow evidently likes to do a thorough exam and write up a laundry list of repairs. Interested to see what what they come up with. When the dealership replaced the seal on the front diff he said everything looked in good shape. I'll report back with details tomorrow.