View Single Post
      04-28-2017, 08:01 AM   #74
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Cars like this have been beating or equalling m3's and porsches on the ring for quite some time now (5 years or so)
Everyone that has been there (or in the villages around it) may think he's currently in france because the amount of renault meganes/renault garages is immense.
Also the leon cupra is popular. All cars not sold in the us, but very very popular and very fast on track.
These cars (these versions at least) are designed as track performance cars from factory because there is this insane war between some manufactureres to see who's the fastest on the nordschleife, and that makes these cars very fast. Its like a bmw form the era when /M stood for 'Motorsport' and not /Marketing (think e36 m3 eurospec)
These cars have well tuned suspension, quality brakes, low in weight, very fast, and less than half the price of an M4 and just as fast or faster on a track.
And that with over 100 hp less. That means they're extremely good in corners and on braking.
BMW could take an example to that.
That's why management at the Motorad division should take over the M division. The wars you speak of above have been going on in the superbike world since at least 2004 when Kawasaki put out the ZX-10R. Ever since then, we've seen escalation in horsepower, chassis/suspension, electronics, and brakes. The cliche the modern sportbike is a street legal race bike is no cliche. The S1000RR is an example of this superbike war and I've had the pleasure of running one on the track.
Appreciate 0