View Single Post
      08-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #28
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroasted View Post
It had a clean carfax, but in this industry unfortunately that doesn't mean very much. Many shady dealers have their own repair shops fix everything without reporting it, so it would have to have had something happen that gets reported at the time of incident. From a friend in the used car industry that is also only 50%. yikes. No signs of repair, but I did not do a paint thickness test. That sounds really thorough and very german, but at some point you are buying a 3 year old car, so you have to some degree accept some usedness. I really just wanted to make sure the trans and engine (turbos) were good and checked out, which they seemed to. No major body work or replacements were done, so I will have to take that as none, and be OK with it.

I think 39 at a bimmer dealer for one with M sport is a great deal. At least from my last 2 month of shopping experience. We definitely saw a price reduction in July compared to June. It was very noticeable.

Its tough to know why they pass on them, but my friend said high miles is usually the first thing. Everything in that auction inventory is done based on supply and demand. They have software tools telling them statistics on availability of everything across the entire country, and that determines the values.
When I was looking for my X5, a friend called me (he works at a large dealership) saying he had just gotten a 2011 X5 M Sport in. He gave me the VIN, I ran it and it lookedl like it had all the right options. But the Carfax mentioned that it had been in a MINOR accident. No big deal, I'll check it out. You cannot BELIEVE how haggard this car was. Nevermind they were willing to sell it for $37K, it was awful. You could tell exactly where it had been hit, the inside was torn apart, all the wheels were curbed, one of the dirtiest cars I had ever seen. I gladly paid a bit more for mine, which ended up being CPO also. Well worth it.
Appreciate 0