View Single Post
      08-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #27
fireroasted
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
That is definitely worth it. I saw a 2011 M Sport for sale here at the local BMW dealership, also has 60K miles on it. They are selling it for $39K (an Alpine White one). Bit higher on the miles, but I wonder when they decide to keep a high miler versus passing it on to an auction.

Does yours have a clean Carfax or any signs of bodywork? Did you run a paint thickness gauge on it?
It had a clean carfax, but in this industry unfortunately that doesn't mean very much. Many shady dealers have their own repair shops fix everything without reporting it, so it would have to have had something happen that gets reported at the time of incident. From a friend in the used car industry that is also only 50%. yikes. No signs of repair, but I did not do a paint thickness test. That sounds really thorough and very german, but at some point you are buying a 3 year old car, so you have to some degree accept some usedness. I really just wanted to make sure the trans and engine (turbos) were good and checked out, which they seemed to. No major body work or replacements were done, so I will have to take that as none, and be OK with it.

I think 39 at a bimmer dealer for one with M sport is a great deal. At least from my last 2 month of shopping experience. We definitely saw a price reduction in July compared to June. It was very noticeable.

Its tough to know why they pass on them, but my friend said high miles is usually the first thing. Everything in that auction inventory is done based on supply and demand. They have software tools telling them statistics on availability of everything across the entire country, and that determines the values.
Appreciate 0