View Single Post
      07-31-2016, 04:10 PM   #107
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Been a while since my last update as I have been swamped with projects. Building a custom cafe motorcycle, 71 Chevelle, upgrading the house and of course work, all contribute to little time left. Decided to tackle getting my brake all done up this weekend. Frankly I have been waiting to put new wheels on until I got the brakes figured out as I wanted to swap out the pads with lower dust pads. Of course I figured while I was there I should cleanup the calipers and put new zinc coated rotors on.

Before I get to the photos, let me just say that the zinc coated Brembo rotors are definitely the same as what BMW uses. Just before my maintenance program ended BMW replaced the front pads and rotors. Comparing them side by side, same stampings, same vein construction, same etc! So if you are looking for OEM rotors, Brembo is the brand.

Anyways, on to what you guys really care about....pics!

Let me stop here and mention that I forgot to take a few photos of my process but I ended up bead blasting the calipers after stripping them completely down. After blasting I reassembled with new seals and then started the paint process with G2 Calipe rPaint in silver. Here are some of the results as the paint was drying...

And now time for the rotors to be swapped and everything buttoned up

Lastly, I've seen a lot of guys try different aftermarket brand pads however I personally like the bite of the OEM pads, just hate the dust. After doing some research I found out that Textar has a new pad technology, which they are using on the newer models, called ePad. They claim same performance but with far less dust. I ended up finding out that my pad size is the same as a newer model X5 so they actually had the ePad application available. We'll see how these perform and I'll provide some feedback.

Appreciate 0