View Single Post
      11-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

New Pic's-Next Gen X5 Powertrain Testing???

Another case of.... I'm not really sure what this is.At first glance it looks like a mundane towing limits test for an X5.But the pic's beg a few questions.This is the E70 model prior to the LCI refresh.Unbadged and no tag at all.No tag means no extended over the road testing.Between Plant gates (this X5 did in fact drive between two plant gates) and on Plant grounds.If testing engine/chassis tweaks for the current LCI X5 wouldn't you use the series production model and NOT an out of production model X5??? In all the years I've been shooting pic's...I've never before seen a towing test conducted around the Plant.I'm not around 24/7...but you would think that I would have crossed paths with a towing test prior to this.I've seen the early test mules in Death Valley conducting towing test but nothing around the Plant.This X5 was moving very,very slow...maybe 5-10 MPH.Just wondering if this vehicle is conducting some early powertrain testing for the coming F40 due in 2013.No reason I can think of to be certifying towing limits on an out of production X5 model.Interesting to say the least.Maybe there is a simple explanation....I'm stumped.Thanks. PalBay
Attached Images