007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF M6 View Post
2011 35d, 100K miles.

Very easy to do the transfer case and rear differential fluid change. Had to cut a 1" piece of 14mm allen wrench to fit between the transfer case drain plug & transmission crossmember. Both TC plugs and the single diff plug used a 14mm allen wrench. Then I replaced the transfer case & rear diff plugs with magnetic plugs. There is no drain plug on the rear diff and you'll need to use a means to suck that dry. I used a tube on a big syringe and it worked great.

First pic is of the difference between the magnetic and original drain plugs. No clearance issues even though the magnetic ones are longer.

2nd pic is of the location of the fill plug on the transfer case on the drivers side. I have the 14mm allen socket in the fill plug. The fill plug is facing the front of the car up higher & the drain plug is facing the rear near the bottom. Both towards the drivers side of the TC.

3rd pic is of the 14mm allen wrench piece I cut to fit so I could remove the drain plug in the TC. Replaced that plug with a magnetic one so now it can be removed with a box-end wrench.

4th pic is of the fluid bottles. For both the real diff & TC, just when the pump started to spit air when pumping, they were full so they both used about 95% of the liter.

Easy to do and recommend doing this. Do it yourself and get the added satisfaction of ownership by working on your own car vs. paying someone to do it.
v nice op, was the fluid bad ... also will you attempt trans ? I plan on doing all three, some day
Mods: 7" VRSF FMIC, Forge DVs, RB PCV, BMS Oil Cooler, VRSF DPs, MHD, JB4g5, OFT DIYs: Walnut blasting : Trans Oil at 45k, w Filter at 65k : Diff Oil Flush @ 45k : WP&TS @ 69k : Alternator @ 79k --- E70d Alphabet Soup del 44.4k : JR Stg2.25 tune : Buzzken Catted Exhaust : Trans fluid drain/ fill (3 Qrts), both Diffs fluids flushed Wheels: Style 95s on PSSs (Sold): AG 359s on S04s : 162s on Blizzaks : Rohana RF1 Matt black
Appreciate 0