View Single Post
      07-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #96
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Lot of tough love responses here. I grew up in that environment. It affected me in more negative ways than positive and my dad (a former prosecutor), now 75, still can't figure out (though I've tried explaining it in the past) why we aren't buddies and why I don't want to spend time with him.

My relationship with my daughter is much different. There a rules, boundaries and expectations, but she gets a lot in return for keeping in line and meeting/exceeding those expectations. She's been working in my office the past few weeks to make extra money. I pay her $12/hour, but she's a hell of a worker and never complains. Now she has cash to go out with friends and buy herself the things she wants that I won't pay for. Plus, she's learning that she doesn't want to spend her future life doing ministerial labor.

So, no, I won't be getting her a POS or a stripped down version of a formerly drivable car. I also don't want to saddle her with a "tank" that gets 10 mpg and has potential mechanical issues. I want something SAFE and RELIABLE. I'm not hellbent on spending $20k, that's just an upper number I'm comfortable with if I can't find anything that satisfies those requirements for less.
Appreciate 1