01-25-2024, 09:55 PM   #22
youngosbourne
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328ix Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDAURIA View Post
09.13.22: Replaced Rear Brake Line Bracket. PN#34406854898

Let me start off by saying, this might have been the most frustrating DIY I have ever done in 15+ years. Really have to question the BMW engineer who made this. 1) its made of plastic 2) its directly above the driveshaft that is spinning constantly 3) it's integrated into the entire gas tank. 4) It cost more to ship the part than it was for the actual part ($7).

So, my F31 was making that horrible noise when you accelerate hard. It sounds like a terrible turbo coming from the center armrest area....

Unfortunately, did not have a lift to do this service and I HIGHLY recommend you have one when doing this replacement. I did not and did it entirely on my back with the help of a very generous enthusiast. Here is a break down of what I would suggest someone does because I didn't do it this way and it took me way longer and numerous expletives. The stealership wanted $838 and 6 hours to do this job. Took us about 2.5 hours and if we did it again properly on a lift, I bet it would've taken 1-1.5 hours tops.

1) Lift/Raise the vehicle
2) Remove the cross brace and center brace: various torx bolts (T60 and a smaller size)
3) Remove the entire exhaust system (yes, the entire thing and if you are OEM like me it's going to be the entire length of the car)
4) Remove the driveshaft: Might be able to lower it?
5) Remove heat shield: 10mm plastic rivets and 10mm metal rivets
6) Lower gas tank: you will need to lower both sides. This is necessary because the bracket is mounted to a stud attached to the undercarriage.
Hey JDAURIA - found your journal researching wheels/ springs, looks like your f31 is just ahead of mine in terms of mileage and may be a crystal ball

I started to hear this crazy noise just under the center console - intermittent, under acceleration, exactly as you described it. My mechanic knew almost immediately what the culprit was and quoted just over $500, which included the now $10 part. I considered doing it myself, but your experience enlightened me.

Appreciate you documenting all the work and your wagon looks great!

Last edited by youngosbourne; 01-25-2024 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: abbreviate quote
Appreciate 0