View Single Post
      11-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #18
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Thanks Doug_999,

The car is going to be my baby. So I will definitely do all the services, etc., even though it is a lease. My thoughts are that while I am leasing, I'm already getting attached to the car even though I don't have it yet. I've seen some articles about the next gen X6 and didn't like what I saw. If that's the case, I'll be buying out this car as a CPO at the end of my lease.

I've also been mulling over not ordering the Cold Weather package. I am indeed in South Florida, however I may do road trips to other states where it's colder. And I just feel I might regret not ordering the relatively cheap option and having it missing from an otherwise fully loaded car. So to that end, you've inspired me and I just emailed my CA to see if it's not too late to add the Cold Weather Package still and will update here on what he says.

As for PCD, yeah I realized there's no real track time but hey it's all good. I used to be a club racer in Willow Springs Motorcycle Club (WSMC) and have done lots of track days on different bikes, but I've never taken a car to the track. I did find a local group that does car track days here at Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR) and I think I might take the X6M to a couple track days.

On break in, this gets almost dogmatic and religious. I want to talk to some of the BMW guys at PCD and see what they say. Generally I've broken in a few Ducatis and kept within the RPM limits (mostly) but use the formula of varying RPMs, multiple gear changes, not staying in same gear at same RPM for too long, stop and go traffic, canyons (not in Florida, but in California where I'm from) and the like.

So not exactly taking it easy, but not riding the redline in every gear from every stop light either. I am thinking the same strategy should work for the X6M.

Honestly, my last 3 brand new cars, a 2009 SLK300, a 2010 X6 35i, and a 2012 GL550, I just bought them and started driving as I normally would with no regard to the break in and they have all been fine, with 40k miles on my SLK.

I am treating the X6M more like a high performance motorcycle than a regular car because I think it's in a whole different league than any car I've previously ever owned. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Really appreciate your suggestions, thank you Doug_999.

Oh and yeah, can't wait to do the hotlap in the M5. I almost bought one but decided on the X6M as I just couldn't get over the bland styling of the F10, and I love the X6 styling. And I can carry a stroller or a BBQ in it while smoking everyone on the way out of Costco's parking lot
Appreciate 0