08-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #16
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
It's not worth the hit you will take on the trade. You will not make that up in MPG. I love our D but I also like the gas 35 as well.

Biggest reason to move to the D is if you tow.
I thought there would be a huge MPG difference, but I was wrong. Looks like you get worst than petro mpg during the cold months. I'm considering of using my X5 to tow a couple wave runners, but I think my N55 should do the job. I've seen guys towing wave runners with their Acura TSX at the lake, so this might skewed my decision. Is there a mechanical reliability with diesel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEnthusiast99 View Post
There is truth to what NRG is saying (I wouldn't put it as eloquently as he did, a "joke"---hehe, just razzing you a bit there NRG), but the MPG argument is a tad overblown. His numbers are almost exactly what I get as well.

It all depends on price, and right now, its a close to a wash between petro and diesel (But the price of gasoline will get up there again in the winter/spring).

If you're trying to move out of your '12 N55 just for the fuel consumption, the deal would have to be pretty incredible to even come close working out for you OP. Of course, I wouldn't presume to know your specific requirements/needs either.

Now the torque argument, you bet, I really appreciate the torque. I'd buy a diesel SUV all day long if it has the kind of performance this one does. I don't see much more performance from the N55 to be honest, but I'm used to the N54 from my other car, so that my have something to do with it.

Good luck in your decision!
Thank you. I always wanted a diesel, because I thought it would be more reliable (maybe it's true) and gets a lot better mpg. I do like the torque numbers, but I think I'm going to stay with my petro.
Appreciate 0