View Single Post
      05-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #93
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd1995 View Post
Good question. I also have a car w.o AS and will now e buying a truck with it. I do like the stiffness in my current car-- but I think my wife will be happier. How difficult will it be to shift from my E93 non AS to X6 Active steer. Anyone have one car w/o AS and one with it? How have you managed?
Thanks,
I switch from my 1M to the X6 on a somewhat regular basis (ok, it is has been raining a lot here so not so much lately). First off, to me, the steering on the 335xi loaner I had was much stiffer than the 1M. So much so, you noticed it every time you drove it (once up to speed you did not notice it). I think that might have bothered me. However, going from the X6 to the 1M really is not a big deal. PS - I was VERY concerned about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittany95 View Post
I am also possibily interested in adding the AS to my car though I did a bit of research into the Active Steering. There seems to a mixed opinion out there about it. Some say it takes away the feeling of driving a BMW. I know it's a free $1550, but I guess my paranoia wonders why it's free.

I drove a 3 series once about 6 years ago with AS, but don't remember too much about it. Back then, it wasn't a technology people wanted, but I know they have since upgraded the technology of it.
Thoughts?
Very few people with a recent (non 2004/2005) active steering vehicle don't like it. Yes there are some, but they are few and far between. You will find people saying "I wanted the true steering feel of the BMW". Here is where it gets weird.
On my old 550 (2006), I drove it with AS and without AS back to back. YOU COULD NOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN STEERING FEEL.
In test driving the X5 without Active Steering however, the steering was so stiff (and almost loose) that I could not imagine driving the car day to day and enjoying it. In test driving the X6 without Active Steering, it did not seem half as bad - still, nothing compares to driving the X6 with Active Steering. YES, the steering is easier to turn (the 550 was not like that) - however, it is very enjoyable and you still feel the road perfectly. You just turn the wheel a lot less at slow speeds (which is nice in a big vehicle like the X6 - it makes it feel smaller). It takes nothing away from the "BMW feel". Go drive a 5-series RWD if you want to experience steering without BMW feel. I'm positive if dealers were able to have X5s and X6s in stock with Active Steering (they can't) more people would order it. It is that good of an option.
Appreciate 0