View Single Post
      03-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #25
amgraham
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 x35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF M6 View Post
Don't understand why anyone would pay over $1K to have a hitch installed. I installed the hitch/wiring myself and did it for less than 1/2 of that. Wasn't an overpriced OEM hitch either. Didn't have to code anything. That's just BMW telling you that you have to code it just to get more money from the average BMW owner that doesn't know S#!t about cars. I then pulled my M6 from Columbus Air Force Base MS to Wisconsin over 1300 miles at 79 MPH most of the way with no issues. No SLS either. Total trailer weight was over 5K pounds.

I see posts where BMW owners pay BMW stealerships stupid prices to do simple, simple stuff and shake my head. It's a shame so many "men" can't do simple maintenance or upgrades on their own vehicles today.
Thanks for the implications in your response to my first post here that I and/or others are stupid, don't know s**t about cars and can't or won't do simple maintenance or upgrades.

Overpriced or not, I determined that I wanted to stick with OEM and that the price, installed, was at the low end of what I've seen quoted. I've installed trailer hitches on two other vehicles, including the harness and a brake controller and do most of my own maintenance and upgrades but hey...

...stick with your generalizations because I paid the dealer at the low end of market pricing relative to what most dealers seem to be charging for OEM equipment, installed. At the time, I was under the impression that it needed to be coded. I didn't have time to thoroughly research it prior to taking delivery if I wanted it installed when we took delivery. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe there were options as far as coding. So be it. My local dealer wanted over $1300. If the selling dealer would have quoted the same number, I certainly would have passed on that as well.
Appreciate 0