08-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #15
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
The trick and BMW has the engineering depth do it, is car that gets good MPG and performs like a BMW (3 series does good job). I would not pay BMW prices for something that gets great gas mileage but performs like a brick on wheels.
In the past it was thought you can't have performance and economy, I think that Palbay is partially correct in that it will take $ to have it. But I think that over time the cost of implementing composites in production cars will fall, so I think that eventually we will have our TTV8's performance and decent MPG.

The TTV8 shows you can make high HP engine with a smaller physical footprint, minor yes but it's the right kind of thinking. Up to now if you want more HP you just created bigger displacement engines.

so that's my 2 cents.
Precisely....Nobody...no a real car enthusiast....is going to buy an X6 w/ a 150hp 4banger that might get 35MPG and handles like a MB Smart car.Why do you think BMW chose the X6 w/ the TTV8 to be their very first hybrid.Because it cuts to the very core and essence and meaning for the BMW Brand. "Utlimate Driving Machine"-"Sheer Driving Pleasure"......BMW has a huge point to prove...we can build a fun and powerful car to drive AND it will get reasonable ( subjective term I realize) gas mileage.Given the early MPG's we are hearing on this forum for the 50i X6,a 20-25% increase in MPG's is a big step in the right direction.No, it's not 35MPG, but it shows progress can be made on MPG and it buys time for other materials and technologies to emerge.And it helps preserve the BMW we all know and love.It will be a game of singles....not homeruns.I'm personally glad that BMW is trying very hard to maintain the "Utlimate Driving Machine" and eek a few more MPG's out of the cars along the way.Otherwise....remember my story about the museum! Thanks! PalBay