08-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I did not realize how wrong most folks are about the X3/5/6 being heavy and gas hogs.

People seem to think the X6 is a porker much like the X5. I say they are dead wrong.

Let's check some weights.

4000lbs - 3 series vert
4400lbs - M6 vert
4300lbs - 650 vert (wooh, the M6 vert weight 100lbs more. )
4800lbs - X6 3.5, 4 wheel drive performance truck
4000lbs - X3

The biggest porkers in BMW's lineup is the 3 and 6 series verts. The 3 and 6 verts weigh MORE than an X3 for gosh sakes.

Is it me or is there something wrong when an X3 SUV weighs less than a 3 series convertible?

There is also something wrong when an M6 vert weighs two adults less than an X5/6.

I acknowledge the X series are trucks, 4 wheel drive utility vehicles. But gosh, what I can accept is an M3/6 vert weighing close to the same and burning more gas.

Rant over.
Interesting info.I've never paid much attention to the actual weight of a car I've owned or considered owning.What I DO look at is the weight to power ratio and weight to torque ratio.A much more relevant comparison if your into high performance driving.Basically...how much overall weight per each 1hp and per each 1 lb/ft of torque does the car need to push around.The torque comparison is very relevant...it's what you "feel" in the seat of the pants.Many cars "even out" in a comparison when these two ratio's are applied.Make no mistake....weight matters...just ask any automotive engineer.All the car companies are "trying" to take weight out.Some do it better than others.Thanks! PalBay