View Single Post
      03-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #38
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
Price on OEM wheels is ridiculous. They are cast wheels, but they charge like they are forged.

I thought the 255/50/19 wheel looked way out of place on my M - just way too narrow, especially on the rear. Even with a 25mm spacer it was extrememly tucked. The 275/40/20 set up fits the vehicle much, much better. I just couldn't drive around on ridiculous looking wheels and tires 5 months of the year.

Nokians are the best winter wheels I have driven on, and the studded Hakkas are simply amazing. But they are maximized for handling winter weather and keeping you on the road, not performance. There are all kinds of winter tires, and they all are designed for a particular purpose. Match your purpose with a tire designed for that purpose and you will be happy. I don't have the luxury of staying home when weather gets bad, so for me, a tire designed to handle anything at the expense of performance serves me well.
How is the ride comfort and noise level with the studs? I'm considering getting those tires for my next set since I live in an extremely hilly area with a river along the highway that creates icy conditions on my commute.