11-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosan
Hey Guys,

Let me start by saying I love this X6 but there is one thing in particular that bothers me. The engine bay. A fine piece of machinery is a thing of beautify so why does BMW go to such great links to cover it all up.

I want to see an engine when i raise the hood not a BMW placard with BMW logo. The pictures of the 4.4 engine that I've seen ( out of the car)show a very handsome engine. Does this engine cover serve any function other than advertising!

ricosan
Agreed. I wish the cover were made of some kind of aluminum alloy instead of (gross) plastic.

Plus, over time, the edges of the plastic turn brown.

I think the cover hides what would otherwise be an unimpressive sight. I don't think the engine looks particularly muscular with the cover off.

At least a cover made of lightweight alloy designed to be impervious to heat would look sweet.

Not to mention, a few added fins might cool the beast a bit.

Anyway, I think the true design of the cover is to block concentrated heat patches from deforming the aluminum hood. I noticed on two of my 750li that the hood deforms slightly over time revealing the presence of a strut whilst you look at just the right angle of the drivers side hood.
Appreciate 0