View Single Post
      02-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #67
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Another oddity occurred on the above mentioned out of state trip. As you all may be aware, once in a while the "Oil at Minimum Level" warning displays, advising to add 1 qt. It always comes up and shows the oil right at the minimum mark on screen. On I-95 ~5 hrs into my trip that warning came up, so I made a note to grab a qt or two at my destination. Not terribly unusual.
Then, 2-3 mins later, another warning came up saying saying "Oil BELOW Minimum Level", advising to add oil ASAP. It showed the oil level at ~halfway between the MIN mark and the bottom of the bar graph.

This was concerning, for a couple reasons... Am I losing oil quickly?? The car had just been in the dealer days before, I wondered if it could be connected, but they hadn't touched anything related. Also, how could the oil level drop past minimum so quickly, or did the level sensor NOT catch it at minimum, but all of a sudden it began working at less than minimum.

Long story short, I hit an Auto parts store 15 miles down the road and got a super deal on 5 qts of Castrol 0-40 or 0-50, for $25. I figured it was 1.5 qts down, I added two whole qts. Monitored it for the rest of the trip and return (over 700 miles), it stayed exactly at MAX level (I assume that even if overfilled the oil level displayed is always that same MAX level).

Probably just a one-off event but will keep an eye on it.

Now if I had catch cans, I could have just dumped the caught oil right back in...
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0