01-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #37
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
On my other cars, I used to shift into neutral when I was approaching an intersection with lights that were about to change to red or were red. I would shift back into drive once it changed to green and apply the accelerator. The first time I tried that on my wife's xDrive version BMW, it let me shift into neutral just fine, however it did NOT let me shift back into drive. I had to stop the car and shift back into drive. By now I figured out that I can shift into neutral and shift back into drive if I am decelerating by applying the breaks and just before I lift the foot off the break, I shift back into drive and then I can accelerate again. I don't do this very often anymore, at least not as often as I used to. It used to help a LOT in reducing the gas consumption (better gas millage) on my other cars!
That is a somewhat dangerous tactic. If for some reason you suddenly need to accelerate while you are in neutral, it could add scarce seconds to your ability to do so.

I don't see how you save gas because the fuel injectors shut off completely when you are slowing down with the throttle fully closed. On an old carbureted engine it might make a small difference.

(And not to be picky, but you slow down using brakes, not breaks.)
Appreciate 0