View Single Post
      06-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #15
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
... Close to possibly trading my X5 in soon, waiting on a dealer offer, but it sounds like we're in the right ballpark. With tax savings it's getting me close to where i need to be....

Open to REASONABLE offers....
I tried doing this recently ... ended up with a Mannheim auction price on my trade, but before we got to that point, I negotiated the value of the car I was willing to buy, without mentioning my trade. In the end it was the difference that mattered and what I saved on taxes (the difference).

It's rare that a dealer will offer you more than what they can get at a Mannheim auction for a car. They argue that those prices are their "default" position ...

One other possibility is to ask the dealer to do a "courtesy trade". In this deal you bring the buyer for your car into the deal, you still get the tax savings because the dealer actually takes your car in trade, and then re-sells your car at the pre-agreed to price to your buyer. Since there is no mark-up, a dealer will typically ask for a $500 "transaction fee" ...

GLWS