View Single Post
      02-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
RDX6
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 35i

Coolant Level Low

BMWer's,

Continued BMW education. So my SA says with 68K miles on my X6-35i it's time for a coolant and transmission flush. So I setup the appointment for the two services to be done. I pick up my X6 drive home no problem(Keep in mind when I dropped the X off at the dealer there were no problems). The next day I drive to the train (10 miles) and the "Coolant Level Low" warning comes on the idrive.

I stop at the nearest autozone, buy some Peak 50/50 coolant. I open the coolant reservoir and it is bone dry. So I top it off with coolant, get home double check my service invoice just to make sure of what services were done.

1. MOC Cooling system flush - $251.13
2. Transmission fluid exchange service - $399.96

So I emailed my SA pics of the coolant message and empty coolant reservoir. He seemed astonished that the service was done and the coolant was gone, he mentioned possible "air pocket"?

So my appointment is in 5 days(need a loaner) but I drive the X and it's going through coolant about a half gallon every 80 or so miles.

Is this a common problem? Find it interesting that I was doing a preventative recommended maintenance that actually caused a problem I didn't have before taking in to the Dealer.

Has BMW quality tanked over the years? I had a 2000 BMW 528i and it had a few issued over the course of 4 years owning it but nothing like coolant issued. My cayenne had 140K and it never had a coolant issue, I took care of her but I never babied her either and I didn't baby my 528i either.

Is there a X6 common problem thread?

RD
Appreciate 0