11-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Three View Post
Very sour moment for me.. External HD was transferring some data when it was knocked over by someone who will remain unmentioned and took a small 2 foot fall onto the carpet..

I've seen much bigger falls, but somehow this one ended it for me :/

First few tries I could hear it start up, but no lights and the PC didn't recognize it.

Decided to take it apart and see if anything was out of place.. Seemed fine, hooked it up again and no go.. However now it would start up and start buzzing/beeping.. Tried a few times and just turned it off for good.

Any suggestions? There is probably 1.5-2TB of data on there so I'd really really hate to lose it.

Would appreciate a data recovery pro hookup here.. Having one of those long lasting dead on the inside feelings ya get when the car isn't runnin right :P
Try taking it apart again (the casing around the actual HDD as you have already done) and hooking it into the computer itself (i.e. with power and SATA cable INSIDE the computer) and see if the BIOS finds it so you can be sure it's not just the external's USB electronics that are fucked. If the BIOS finds it, continue boot to OS, offload to another drive, and get rid of the external's HDD and other parts for good (never trust it again).

Quote:
I hope you did not touch the platters... they need to be opened in a dust free containment room. One spec of dust will fuck everything up. Don't open the drive again if you want to stand a chance to recover the data.
I take it he wasn't stupid enough to open the actual HDD. I think he just means the outer shell casing because it's an external.

Quote:
Cost: between 1 and 2k.
If you go this route, explore your options. Some places will at least evaluate for a small fee before you go spending this kind of money (which is realistic) to recover your data.
Appreciate 0