Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
On the issue of having a car out of warranty being a gamble: it's true, but it is far less expensive to buy and keep a car for 7 or more years than leasing a new car every three years which is the justification people use to make sure they never own a BMW out of warranty because of the cost of repairs. One would have to pay for $30K worth of repairs over three years to spend the equivalent amount - something possible but highly unlikely. Adding the 7 year warranty to your purchase sounds like a splendid idea to me
This. I've owned old cars, new cars, cars with warranty, cars without warranty, high performance cars with complex and expensive parts, etc, etc, etc. None of my out of warranty german cars were noteworthy with excessive repairs, with the exception of 1....a 1993 Audi 90 CS Quattro. Depreciation is a far worse enemy, and that reinforces your point...it will be experienced whether a new car is leased or purchased. Your devaluation journey in an '11 will be considerably softer than that of the original owner.
My father had a red manual Audi 90 CS Quattro! Loved that car!
Appreciate 0