View Single Post
      12-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Ok sir, you're not going to like this but here's what I did to avoid the "stone throw" or whatever else the front tires kick up to the rear.

1) 3M'd the rocker panels (underneath the doors) from the front wheel to the rear. Also 3M'd the forward face of the rear wheel arches, right to the top before it begins to drop off towards the rear of the truck. This DID NOT WORK as the chips kept coming and made the 3M film on the wheel arches look like hell. 3M film on the arches was replaced and then.....

2) Installed BMW mudflaps both front and rear. Unbelievably, despite the Freightliner size of these stupid things, this (the fronts in particular) didn't work. The 3M film was still getting chipped because, as I determined, the front mud flaps didn't extend down enough. It probably required another couple of inches. The 3M film on the arches was replaced again and then...

3) To maintain my sanity, I cut approximately 3 inches off of the bottom of a cheap plastic set of flat mudflaps and attached them to the bottom of the BMW front mudflaps with 3 push-pin plugs each side - therefore extending the bottom of the front BMW flaps by about 2 inches. Problem solved. No more kick-up of any kind. It ain't the prettiest but I've learned not to look at them - which is a little easier with a black truck. And the rocker panel and the rear wheel arches are quite unblemished after thousands of kilometers.

Shame on BMW for not fixing this and shame on BMW for making me purchase a set of ugly mud flaps that don't work. Here's a couple of pics and I apologize for the quality as it had been raining and I was just test-fitting a new set of wheels/tires.

For what it's worth....Mark
Attached Images