Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Oh ffs. It's not GPS that led to that. The fundamental issue was a recall on a sixteen year old car that had been available for a decade. So who's more to blame, satellites and decoding or a car owner who didn't take a safety recall seriously? I mean, if his parents had just been whalers, he'd have had a flare gun in the car, but no, we banned whaling. So it's on all of us for not letting people shoot large mammals with harpoons.
Regardless of parents not doing safety recall, the fact remains the kid would be alive today if GPS did not make police think the car was across the street in a commercial parking lot.

Funny how you are celebrating iOS 11.3 which gives more detail on your iPhone but dissing tech advances in other areas - which cost a kid their life last night.
Yeah, but I drive a manual and wear a mechanical watch. I've also never used cruise control and while I use GPS for guidance, I primarily use my eyes to verify what's coming up. And in cases like your pic above in multi lane traffic, I know that if my nav is telling me to do something in half a mile, I should probably be towards the right, not goofing off in the HOV lanes.

The funny thing about this whole thread is that no one has said GPS accuracy shouldn't be tighter, some of us have just said it's no big deal. We're not anti diluvian retro grouches, we're just capable of getting places without having our hand held.
Appreciate 0