View Single Post
      12-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #1
VolksFan
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

Angry Strange Cranks but No-Start condition 35d

Hello, new to the xbimmers community. Unfortunate first post, but I will lay it all out in detail- apologies for the novel.

I have a wide knowledge base when it comes to VAG products, and figured a 35d wouldnt be too much different from most newer common rail stuff. Apparently not.

2010 E70 35d, 121k miles- just finished replacing the glow plug module and all 6 glow plugs yesterday. Everything went smoothly. Started up first try, a little rough at first. Subsequent restarts smoothed out and the little truck ran great, took it around the block several times, it idled happily, no issues of note and reassembly had gone well.

Went to visit family this evening. Going up a steep hill, near the top I had a quick whiff of something that smelled plastic-y and of diesel, it was faint enough to wonder if it was someone else's vehicle or if I even smelled it.

At the top of the hill, making a right turn from the stop sign, the X5 surged a little, then died. Stronger diesely smell near egr in front of engine bay when I popped the hood.

All efforts to restart it failed- it cranks strong and isnt making any scary noises. Had it towed back. Scanned the vehicle when it was off the flatbed, using a Launch 431 pad II (programs anything you might ever need and is a professional level scan tool), and discovered to my suprise that there were absolutely no codes whatsoever. Verified with INPA.

All harness plugs are installed correctly and are firmly latched in place, manifold went on without a hitch.

I highly doubt that it is an issue with the manifold being seated correctly or the new glow plug module causing this, but thats why I am posting here.

I am unfamiliar with situations that will cause a cranks-but no start, no codes situation on these trucks.

In the last 5k miles, the X5 has had a new fuel filter, preheater, and tstat. Beyond routine fluid changes we've done, we have very little maintenance history.

I appreciate your input and responses, in advance.

Regards
E
Appreciate 0