10-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #59
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

45k mile update
Vehicle is 5 and a half years old.

Few weeks ago I was on a trip to DC (from Charlotte NC) and just leaving to head home I got a "Engine Malfunction" warning. Also felt reduced power and stumbling/roughness while applying throttle at highway speeds. Thanks to this forum I knew the only thing I could have done about this on the spot: I exited the highway and, crossing my fingers, turned the engine off and on again. The error went away and it drove fine the remaining 400 miles. Whew.

Thinking this was likely a misfire, and knowing my spark plugs were due for a change, I ordered a set of OE Bosch plugs and the correct socket and changed them myself the next weekend. Not a bad job, and got to know the engine bay a bit better.
Spark plug change DIY for N63 I subsequently wrote is here --> http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...n63+spark+plug

The vehicle has been at the dealer for 7 days for recall and other work. Picked it up this morning. I asked for the following work, I included results below:

1 - Front Driveshaft recall --> DONE

2 - Driver Airbag recall --> DONE

3 - Comfort Access completely dead for both fobs - for 2 weeks. I had tried changing fob batteries, charging the vehicle battery, nothing. All my presets were wiped and had to use fob in dash to drive, and backup metal key in fob to lock doors. Until the morning I brought it in; UNBelievably, it started working the morning I took it in for the appointment --> As it was working when I dropped it off, there wasn't much they could do. They tested the fobs and said one wasn't putting out a signal, replaced both fob batteries, tested and they work now. (I have a hunch this has to do with my vehicle battery getting low again...)

4 - Investigate the "Engine Malfunction" warning --> They did see a code logged for a misfire on cylinder 8. They swapped the plug and coil with two other cylinders and if it returns hopefully we can trace it. Perhaps this was solved by the new spark plugs I installed.

5 - Investigate slight "grabbing" feeling in tight turns (expected transfer case inspection/testing) --> They drove it and felt the problem too, diagnosed bad transfer case. So I got a new transfer case. At 45k miles. SA said this would have run almost $5k had it not been covered under my CPO warranty. Not bad for a $50 deductible. Although, I likely would have ordered a new or re-built unit and installed myself for half that cost.
*Interesting notes on this item from the order: First they verified correct size/pressure of tires, then diagnostic on transfer case (no faults stored), so they disconnected it and drove it and verified no more grabbing. So installed new transfer case, drove again with no issues, THEN they sent it for programming...
Not sure what the programming does, but interesting they did that after test driving it.

Just for kicks I talked to another guy at the dealership on the different options they offer for further warranty/service coverage. Here are my notes (there were other length plans available, these were just the ones I wrote down):
- CPO "wrap" 1 yr extension - $3914 (need to be under 80k miles)
New service contracts:
- Gold coverage – 4yrs $10296, 3yrs $9500
- Silver coverage – 4yrs $8200, 3yrs $7600
- Powertrain only - 4yrs $3510

But actually my SA personally recommended the CNA warranty. This is the one used by CarMax, noted on this and other forums for covering nearly everything without hassle, and being easy to work with for the dealer.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star

Last edited by heatmizr; 02-11-2018 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0