View Single Post
      08-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #109
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
BMW, with its new carbon fiber manufacturing plant and system will definitely be involved in the next wave of all electric vehicles. All we need is smaller and lighter battery technology and induction charging. In the meantime, ICE remains the best way to go long distances quickly.

What a lot of people here resent is trolls coming on this website, slamming BMW and touting a transitional technology as if it were the ultimate perfection of battery power. It's not. Nor is BMW's i3 (or i8). They are all transitional vehicles, each in its own niche.

A vehicle that has a half ton or more of battery (7000 of them, actually) and takes a long time to charge every 150 miles is not God's gift to automobiles. But, then, neither is an electric car that needs an ICE to extend its range.

I've been a BMW buyer for almost 45 years. I love BMW ICE. But I look forward to the day when BMW's will be all electric. As between BMW and other manufacturers (upstarts as well as veteran car companies), I think BMW has a chance to do it right and best. Tesla, for example, probably won't be in business in 2020.
I need to correct a few things here. I moved from BMW to Tesla because all electric is what matters and no other car company could or can deliver a decent fully electric car. No it's not in any way perfect, I look forward to a BMW that does it better but right nie, that doesn't seem to be happening even in 2020...

As for the Tesla, if I'm not mistaken it has ~9000 batteries and no I don't have to charge it for a long time every 150 miles. But rather for 40-60 minutes every 250 miles when on a road trip. For day to day driving, it's always fully charged each morning from the standard power outlet in my garage.

I look forward to the day when BMW can offer me the same or better.
Appreciate 0