Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s-a-charm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
So what you are saying is that the i5 will be a sedan, but will also be offered as a crossover? I i hope not only crossover, because hasnt bmw learned through i3 and 5gt that americans dont want a weird looking vehicle? Lets not make that mistake again
Its not just about North America.
No, but obviously the largest automobile markets shouldn't be ignored.
#1 China (they seem to like futuristic and strange looking cars)
#2 U.S. (Conservative exteriors with lavish interiors)
#3 EU (anything goes exteriors and simple utilitarian interiors)

(Have I generalized enough LOL)

I'm surprised BMW i decided to go so "futuristic" with the designs. I personally love the styling of the i8 - but that should have been the BMW 850i (another topic...). Tesla has certainly proved that an EV doesn't have to say, "Look at my strange car - I'm helping the planet." That's why I bought one versus the 650i Gran Coupe I was close to committing to. EV is absolutely without a doubt the car of the future (coming from a car guy).
BMW probably saw the dismal track record of hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles sharing a conventional vehicle's styling and quickly decided to provide unique and easily identifiable styling for their i brand. I can't think of any successful EV/hybrid/alternative fuel vehicle that shares its design with a conventionally powered vehicle. My theory is that the target audience desires the (assumed) street cred a vehicle like this is supposed to deliver. A car that isn't immediately identifiable as an environmentalist's car just doesn't seem to deliver what those buyers apparently value.