View Single Post
      08-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #323
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Update:

Not so much a mod update this time around, more of a cool tool one.

Bmwhat App and Wifi OBDII Adapter

The company's site:

http://www.ivini-apps.com/

So the other week my edc went off again on the commute home due to a bad connection of one of the KW resistors. This had been an ongoing problem for awhile now and I've never been able to tell what side needs to be looked at. I was also thinking of getting some coding done as well, but the guy here couldn't connect to my car for whatever reason.

My boss came in the next day and showed me his new wifi obd2 adapter that he just got and some free software he downloaded for his corvette. I thought that was the coolest thing and asked to try it out on my car. So I did and it worked. It showed I had no faults though, which made me think I might need a more specific software program. This got me thinking maybe there is a BMW specific app to go along with these adapters so I could finally read my edc code.

I began searching and BMWhat immediately popped up. It advertised bmw specific fault code reading and clearing. It also advertised coding as well. This practically sold me right there as having an app on your phone that could read/clear fault codes and actually do some minor coding was something I never thought possible. Low and behold it was. I instantly downloaded the free version to test compatibility.

The free version pulled 10 faults, but would not tell me what they were. There was an email link to send the log though. So I did thinking I would never hear anything. That night I received an email back from the owner explaining all of the faults and that with the full version you would not need to send in your logs. I was so impressed by this customer service that I bought the full app.

At $50 it was not the cheapest piece of software but for something that does not vin lock, can read/clear fault codes, code, and work on the new F series cars was worth it to me. I also bought the wifi adapter off of Amazon as they actually have a little store there as a further means of support. It was not the cheapest wifi adapter, but I felt it important to support them as they are constantly improving the app and I feel it is an excellent product for our little bmw community. Iphone users will need to order the wifi adapter while android users need to order the bluetooth one with cable. The cable is needed to code for android platforms.

Link to the Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_au...&node=15684181

Go Time

I received the adapter yesterday. It took a week for it to get from Germany to Hawaii. Packaging was good and it fit in the mailbox.

Pic out of the mail package:

Plugged into the car:

For reading fault codes you can have the engine running as that will have the most amount of ecu's on to read. For coding you are going to want to have the car in position two (everything on except engine, just start the car without holding the brake) while hooked up to a battery tender. So just like doing a performance tune in other words. Below you will find pictures of the app doing it's thing:

Wifi network it creates. It's also recommended that you turn your bluetooth off on your iphone while using the program for increased connectivity.:

The setting menu of the app. I chose additional diagnostics to make sure I read every code:

Fault code reading time. I selected all ecus. It spoke to 62 of them:

My edc faults. I now know I need to work on the front left and right connections for the resistors. The rears are fine:

Everything cleared:

Coding time!

5 modules can be coded for my car:

A taste of the options that can be coded!!! The nice thing about the app is it creates a backup file in case anything happens:

There are a lot of options within the 5 modules for coding. Do keep in mind there are more options that an actual coder can do that this can not yet. However I think this product speaks for itself in terms of value. Works on your phone, uses a tool that creates it's own wifi, read/clear faults, does simple coding, and can work on the new F series cars is a win in my book. I highly recommend this tool if you guys are into this stuff. Any questions ask away. The owner is also working on additional coding options to add so that section will keep getting better!
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 2