View Single Post
      02-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #58
skunkd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 STI 2008 BMW M5 2004 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx2 View Post
1) Why not? It is quite obvious from those pictures that the wheels are pushed out as far as possible without going beyond the fender flares.

2) He was obviously referring to this specific application and therefore his point is valid.

3) What's your point? If you purchased a set of wheels with the incorrect offset then yes, theoretically you could use a 50mm spacer and still have them tucked in. (Hint: You bought the wrong wheels)

4) Unless you can provide facts to back up your claims then don't try to argue this point. There is plenty of data online to prove otherwise.
A 20mm longer bolt does not inherently make it "less safe". Knowing what type of bolt is being used is a critical point which you've left out.

5) You find it strange? I actually measured the distances before spacers and then purchased the closest available H&R spacers to reach those numbers front and rear. Why should I have chosen 10mm or 12mm when the measured gap was closer to 18mm? To be different? Makes absolutely no sense.

If you decide to use 50mm spacers front and rear that's great for you. Next time choose a set of wheels with the proper offset for your vehicle...
What did you measure exactly did you measure? The distance between the fender and tire sidewall?

I never said the 20mm is weaker did I? I love how you put words in my mouth. But, there is in fact a certain length where bolts can no longer safely support the width of spacer (This IS A FACT and 20mm is near that cutoff) Trust me I've been using spacers for years on a variety of cars whether 25mm or 3 inch bolt on to hub and never had an issue.

And maybe you should do some research but... OEM wheels from BWM for the X5 come with from offsets from anywhere between +35 to +53... SO some NEED a larger spacer than 20mm not because they bought the wrong wheel... but because IT CAME WITH THEIR CAR FROM THE FACTORY...

NOT EVERYONE HAS x5m wheels which are more offset to begin with... and brian5 probably didn't realize that either just pointing that out.

Last edited by skunkd; 02-08-2013 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0