Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The Dodge Charger is based off of a 15-year old MB S-Class platform that Chrysler uses for all of it's big sedans and coupes and started with the 300 eons ago (in car model years). The Holden Zeta platform that underpins the SS is far newer than the Charger. The SS drives far better than the Charger and is lighter.

The SS is a niche car plain and simple. 95% of the auto market is non-enthusiast so one wouldn't expect mass market sales of the SS to begin with. My buddy has a 2016 SS (bought it after I told him about it). For the $42K he paid for it it's a far better enthusiasts car than a 5-series.

I agree fully that the SS is a better drive then a Charger, and probably is vs a few versions of the 5.

My point being is the issue with the SS is the cost, one of the reasons it didn't sell in the U.S., look at all the options in that price bracket. Some of that has to due with how it was imported/manufactured, again if GM made a RWD sedan following the pricing trend of the Charger, the SS would of been a seller as it would of had lower transaction prices in V4 or V6, thus the niche top teir SS could still be produced. If Dodge only had the hellcat model of the charger it would die off as well. The same would apply to an M5.

The issue with a RWD platform large sedan for GM is that it has too many sedans that overlap.

That platform along with the one used for the GC is the best thing to come out of the relationship and if it wasn't for Z Germans it would be only the big 2 as the FCA group wouldn't exist.
Appreciate 0