View Single Post
      05-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #79
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC_Phillip View Post
I just installed this in my 2012 X5 yesterday. So far, getting CarPlay to turn on holding the menu for 5 seconds has been hit or miss. At times, I can't get back to the normal iDrive U.I. by holding the menu down for a few seconds and I'm stuck at CarPlay until I turn off the car.

Question, what's the best way to read your last messages? When I go to the messages app in CarPlay, I can see the log of my text message chats but when I select one person, Siri asks if I want to send a message but I can't read the last message in that chat.

Thoughts?
You will not be able to physically read text messages in CarPlay. The best you can do is ask Siri to read a message to you ("read me the last message from John"). This is part of the safety aspect of CarPlay. They want your eyes on the road, not the screen.

When you get a new message, If you select the message banner pop-up, Siri will then ask if you would like her to read it to you. Or if you missed that and simply go into the iMessages app, selecting the person who sent the unrest message will bring Siri to the same question-asking you if you want it read to you.

The only way to circumvent this is to reach for your actual phone.
Appreciate 0