View Single Post
      02-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Monaco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jaguar XF Portfolio Sport

Deciding between an X5 and...

I generally post over the in the 3-forum, but wanted to throw up a post here due to the pending lease expiration on my wife's RX350.

She has been in a Lexus RX for a long time and is ready for a change. She doesn't want another lease. We are looking at a number of vehicles as the RX replacement, including X5, Q7, MDX on the very short list.

She drives very little - her 2013 RX has 17k on the clock. This also puts our expiring lease in a unique situation in that the residual buyout price is well below FMV for what similar fully loaded cars are selling for. Hoping to parlay some of that "equity" into the next purchase.

Our budget is <$35k and I've found a few local cars with under 45k miles that are under consideration. One being a 2011 xDrive35i with 42k miles listed at $31k. For sale at an Acura dealer, however so no CPO. For the most part, I think we will be looking at 2010s or 2011s. Looks like there was a minor refresh done in 2011 including switching to the 3.5L turbo. Any reason why I should NOT also consider the 2010s?

I realize this is an X5 forum and that asking to compare the X5 to the Q7 and/or MDX is sure to elicit some biased opinions, but I imagine some folks have owned one or both of the comparison cars and can offer some insight.

This would be my first non-new BMW (my 328 was brand new and still covered under scheduled maintenance and warranty). Am I asking for trouble by buying a used X5 from an Acura dealer that doesn't offer CPO? I get keeping up on scheduled maintenance, but out of warranty German cars tend to scare me (which is why the MDX is also in play).

Appreciate any advice.
Appreciate 0