View Single Post
      12-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_XI View Post
Just an fyi, BMW (X5 manual) recommends placing the snow chains on the rear wheels.

I thought the same the thing, the front wheels would help with manuevering and traction, but the manual says otherwise.
That may be do to the suspension clearance issues on the front. I haven't measured anything but it doesn't look like a lot of space up front. Here is what the folks @ SCC responded to me with...

We list three "Z" products for your 275/40-20 tires.

All of these are excellent winter traction products. The first, Z-575 is in the same product group as the Z-563 you owned.

Here’s links to videos for all three.Now, because of the restricted clearance issues you mentioned I would hope that you’ve read your owner’s manual or spoke to BMW about the use of traction products on your X5.

If it states that you need to use a product that meets SAE Class “S” clearance requirements, any of these products will work for you.

If they prohibit the use of or limits you to certain traction devices I’d suggest that you consult your dealer about what they allow.

Our Super Z6 cables (SZ435) were designed to be used on vehicles with extremely limited clearances. They only require 6.3 mm (1/4”) of operating space (at 30 mph.) But again, if BMW prohibits the use of or limits you to certain products I can’t recommend them for your application, you would have to make that decision.

Thanks for your inquiry, I hope one of our products will work for you.
Appreciate 0