03-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #99
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex5 View Post
My 550 was an LCI without run flats.

I took the run flats off the X5 @ 18k miles and its still too harsh.

Perhaps I need to clarify my opinion. The ride isn't harsh 24/7. But it can be bone jarring when you go over rough pavement and even some expansion joints on the highway cause an "ouch face" on my wife or I occasionally.

Please don't take offense, I just don't like it for my tastes. The shocks are too stiff.

I run my 911 on track, it's not that I'm averse to stiff suspensions. Its just that these are SUVs not sports cars... The suspension shouldn't crash over sharp bumps. The LCI X5 introduced the sport activity pack. That ride is better suited to my tastes. Just my opinion though.

Also, I personally have noticed that the 08/09 X6 5.0 sport with 20s rides a touch nicer than a similarly equipped 09' X5.

BMW used to have incredible ride quality vs. stiffness. My 01' 740i sport was fantastic. Then they went with run flat technology and have been trying to engineer around the poor ride penalty since. I personally don't value run flats.

Good luck,
DRP
I'm not questioning that your ride is not harsh, but it sounds like something is wrong. I have the adaptive drive and there is zero harshness (and I also had a 550 as well with runflats). The X6 is by FAR smoother. I do remember driving the previous X5 and noted the same harshness you speak of (hated it).

However, I don't believe that Adaptive Drive has ever been available on the 5 series. ARS is, but I think that is just the front suspension. I could be wrong?
Appreciate 0