Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
I would say you kinda of cheated yourself......you drove a 4S (extra weight....check), not sure what options it had but that would also be a factor. Next, you jumped in a rear engine car with high expectations. One thing I learned very quickly.....When the engine is behind you things seem really weird up front until you've gotten lots of seat time and made the adjustment. And trust me, there are adjustments to be made to your driving style. I know you mentioned that availability of cars to drive may be a issue in your area but try to attend some local car meets and chat with some folks. You'd be surprised at the number of Pcar drivers that have come from M cars. And of course drive as many as you can and you'll come to appreciate the reason we say "There's No Substitute".........Phil
So what's the point of the rear engine layout? I hear so many negatives but the only positive I've heard is it distributes more weight over the rear which can maximize braking over the rear due to weight location and weight transfer. I've also heard race instructors joke the engine's in the wrong place. So what's the truth? Is it stubbornness on Porsche's part to keep their legacy formula going or are they onto something the rest of the industry hasn't caught on to?
Appreciate 0