View Single Post
      07-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
hjahmad
Rep
Drives: Imaginary e92 M3

Toddler Locked In Car

My son is fine, he was stuck in the car for about 20 min with full AC on until the Police got the car open.

I am posting this to see if there is a problem with my specific car or there is just some deficiancy in the keyless system implementation.
I recently bought a 2012 X5 D for my wife to use as he daily with my son, and for our long family travels. I was out of town for work and my wife put my son in the seat and he started playing with the key. Door was shut as my wife needed to get in from the other side of the car. but all the doors were locked with the key inside.

After this incident, i compared and tested the X5's keyless system to my parents 2011 528.

On the 528, it is not possible to have any door or the trunk open, lock the doors with the key, and shut all the doors. The car will lock, but immediately unlock the doors and call you an idiot with a couple of beeps. system works perfectly.

However the X5 behaves differently. With the Driver door open, the car will not lock at all with the key's lock button. nothing happens. with the trunk open, pressing the lock button will look all the doors. with the key inside, the trunk will close, but reopen right away and beep at you. But with any of the other 3 doors open, you can lock the car with the key and shut the door, and you are locked out.

So why do the X5 and 528 behave differently? Is it an installation difference between the cars since they are different generations? or is there something faulty with the X5 that i need to have checked out?

While this may not be the reason my son was locked in the car, but it is something i found while trying to replicate the issue.

My son could have locked the door once my wife was outside the car, at which point he would be locked inside any keyless bmw car. or my wife locked it instinctively with the door open and the system did not recognize the key inside.

I know there are multiple other ways to get into car if locked, but i am looking to advice to see if this is a known issue with other 2012 x5s or if its something i should definitily have the dealer check out.

Thanks
Appreciate 0