05-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #60
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
You worry about the NFL and want someone to go to jail but in the financial collapse that destroyed many many lives no one was held accountable. how many people offed themselves because of hardships and financial ruined. Worrying about how tom likes the football little softer, yeah they helped him put up 28 in the second half...while the real criminals sell you annuities and are STILL IN POWER....Ect ect I could go on and on

And lets be real here you are a fan of either the giants or more than likely the awful jets. Lots of butt hurt to go around.

If there was one mistake on your taxes or exaggeration of the numbers to federal prison you should go. Maybe you bought something online and never reported it to your Tax and Tax again state of NY...Jail.. If we found any discrepancy's I am going back 20 years...Prison...A little outrageous, no?
The person to whom you specifically replied may have a different view than I, but below is my view.

Red:
There is no question in my mind that the acts that led to the 2008 financial crisis had to have been carried out, at least in part, with total disregard for the ethics of what the key players were doing. That no several people -- other than the shareholders of the companies that went belly up -- were penalized personally is at least equally, if not more so, deserving to be decried. The thing is that what happened there strikes me as both ethically/morally wrong as well as being criminal. The matter of ballgate doesn't strike me as criminal in anyway.

Blue:
Well, that people committed suicide because they were financially ruined cannot, IMO, be blamed on anyone else. Literally millions of people live in poverty or near poverty and don't kill themselves over it. I'm sure those folks who killed themselves may have been embarrassed and devastated, but killing oneself over money...that's crazy. Literally. At the end of the day, only oneself can be held accountable for one's suicide, no matter why one did it. (I suppose if someone coerces one to kill oneself as the alternative to being killed, that may be an exception, but does stuff like that really happen outside of popular fiction? BTW, that's a rhetorical question.)

Green:
There's a very significant difference between cheating on one's taxes and what the Patriots did in ballgate. The difference is that Patriots literally agreed to play the game of football in accordance with the rules set forth by the NFL, and they did this publicly before literally millions of people. (See PDF page 4 here: https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domai...liancePlan.pdf)

There is, of course, another difference. When an individual is found guilty of tax fraud, the penalties are quite often at a minimum financially devastating, adversely life changing if you will, to the party(s) involved. There's no such quality to the penalties levied against Mr. Brady or the Patriots team. One million dollars to a $2.5B business is a small enough sum that it can merely be considered "the cost of doing business," particularly if the cheating yielded its intended results. Similarly, given the size of Mr. Brady's salary, he can absolutely sit out four games and see little if not no change in his way of life.

I'm not in a position to comment on whether the penalties the government assigns to tax cheats are too great and that's not in the scope of this thread. I absolutely feel that Mssrs. Brady and Kraft got off very easy given the example they put before millions of fans, give the millions of people to whom they are role models. I blame the NFL leadership for a share of the the latter part of that. They should be no less ashamed of themselves for levying such light penalties than should Mr. Brady and his cronies for having committed the act in the first place.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0