View Single Post
      05-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #82
Lucabratsi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Hello,
I decided to do some DIY maintenance after my first year of enjoying my M. Just changed the oil/filter and the air filter on my M at 7,500 and here are the DIY highlights.
Fist I used BMW -866 oil from http://parts.bmwofalexandria.com/pro...52d866%29.html for $6.44/Qt. The M needs to be jacked up and or on ramps for changing the oil, as both plug and filter are located underneath. The oil pan drain plug is located in the center of the oil pan, and requires an 8mm Hex wrench or socket for removing. I was not able to suck out the oil with my vacuum extractor, as there is no dipstick or way I found to do this. Anyway, the oil filter is located under the SAV also. The oil was black as crude, and maybe I will send it out for analysis. Removing of the oil filter was quite a bit more messy, as there is no damn oil plug in the oil cap, like on the 7 series. Removing of the oil filter cap requires an BMW cap socket. When you remove it do it slowly, or you will make a map of Italy on your garage floor. Even with care I still spilled some, and I will look to see if I can purchase a cap with the plug for draining. The oil filter kit contains the replacement seal for the oil cap drain plug, pan plug crush washer, and cap O-ring. Putting the new oil filter+cap was fairly easy. I then lowered the SAV and added 8 quarts of the -866 ran the engine for 10 minutes and checked the oil level with Idrive. Damn it is a PITA not having a dipstick. Level was at Max so all good. However, in two days driving, checked oil level again and it was 1 quart down, so I topped it off.
Now for the air filters. There is a great thread on changing the air filter http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499319. Thanks Bleudyno. There is a left and a right filter, so change them both. Mine were very dirty after 1 year and 7,500 miles. They are quite small, with respect to surface area, this fire-breather of an engine has less surface area on its air filter than my FX45.
All is working fine.
Enjoy
Appreciate 0