View Single Post
      02-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #53
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Alignment

(this is also posted in another tire wear thread here. Above poster asked me to share here)

Been dealing with the tire wear issue here too - outside fronts, inside rears. Fronts are worse. I have 12k miles on the OE set of DUELER H/P SPORT Runflats.
In an attempt get a few more miles out of this set I decided get an alignment now, ahead of my next set of tires. I've read all the info on this forum and the "perfect" numbers a few here keep offering up - thanks.
I took mine in today and here are the before /after numbers. Another data point for you all:

Name:  Alignment 022017 2012 X5 50 20inch.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  263.7 KB

Front Toe was reduced overall by almost half.
Rear Toe actually is increased but with reduction in camber should reduce the wear I am seeing. At least my Thrust Angle is spot on!

I know they are not exactly what is suggested in other posts as 'optimal'. The tech took into account how my tires were wearing and how I wanted to reduce that. He didn't go as far out of spec as I asked. I don't really know why they don't just do what you ask them. He did spend some time on it, especially the fronts, as the tie rod ends were stuck. Also he did keep the steering wheel centered. He mentioned the telescoping wheel complicated it a bit as he wanted to make sure it stayed centered while extended, not just retracted while car was shut off.

It doesn't really feel any different with these small adjustments - I didn't expect any. As far as wear, these tires are so far gone in front all I am trying to do is buy enough time to tire shop and decide if I should run the fronts long enough to do the rears at the same time.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0