03-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #49
Whoopsy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 B7, 11 X6M, 07 997TT, 08 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme123 View Post
Whoopsy. So, will you put 10w-30 4 stroke lawnmower oil in you car because it flows? Hey, it flows great, its oil, it cools great, it must work! Can you please address shear rating of the said oils, oh great oil master. Please enlighten us.

Look, I can see your point about flow but why do you keep ignoring load?

Fine, since we are discussing oil pressure, let's throw in the VANOS system in the mix. It needs oil too. The same oil that is flowing through the vains of S63. What about it's requirements?
Hmm, do I want to respond to you being childish?

You said it, LAWNMOWER oil, not AUTOMOTIVE, not even close, as if I ask you do you eat dog chow instead of human chow.

API grades include standards for the shear rating of the oil, so current SM rating > SL, SJ.

I was hoping you would bring up VANOS it needs oil and the quicker oil gets to it on cold starts the better to avoid excessive wear. So the less viscosity on cold start the better. But AFTER the oil gets to the VANOS system, it's pretty much operate as closed circuit, so only oil pressure, from memory it operates at 100 bar, is what really matters, flow, viscosity doesn't make a difference anymore.

Anyway, seeing there are many reports in hot climates like LA and Taiwan calling for 10w-60 instead of 5w-30, I had ask my M contact for more clarification, I will know more in a day or two.
Appreciate 0