View Single Post
      02-27-2021, 10:42 PM   #37
Algonsio
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Did you fix the X5 Transmission Malfunction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post
My X5 xDrive 35d is now having the same issue of "Transmission Malfunction" described by so many others. The error message adds;
"Drive moderately. Continued driving possible. Reduced acceleration. Have the system checked by nearest BMW dealer."
First time it happened set me back $2000, but then it occurred again just a week later after the "repair". It occurred once while trying to pass a truck on a two lane highway in the mountains, nearly causing an accident for me and the driver behind me also trying to pass.

The second time they said it needed a quart of transmission fluid, everything else looked fine, and after all, there was no error message logged in the computer. In addition, they noted stopping and re-starting the car, always sets in back to normal.

It's happened several other times now, all on the highway when modest acceleration is required. I have been a big fan of BMW, but I believe this problem is truly a dangerous one, I'm dismayed and disappointed by the BMW dealer response to it, and my faith in the BMW brand is going.
Kendrick - We live near you and are having the same problem with our 2011 X5. It is extremely dangerous! We would like to get it fixed rather than get rid of the car (for peanuts). Our mechanic (who has been pretty awesome) said we could try to rebuild the transmission but that is going to cost 6K minimum. We are worried that even if we spend the money to do that, it might not fix the problem. We were hoping to drive this car for another 100K miles so that is the only reason we are even considering attempting the fix. Lots of people on this forum say the transmission needs to be replaced but no one seems to come back and say they replaced the transmission and it resolved the issue. Perhaps because no one is willing to spend 10K on a transmission replacement! So frustrating! This car has definitely been a piece of crap - one problem after another.
Appreciate 0