View Single Post
      03-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #53
Whoopsy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 B7, 11 X6M, 07 997TT, 08 X5

Ok this is what I get back from my contact.

All BMW engines uses BMW LL-01 oil for North American market because of the high sulphur content, rest of the world uses LL-04 for lower sulphur content.

BMW LL-01 synthetic has 2 grades, 5w-30 and 10w-60, and all engines can use either, except the S85, S65, S62, S54 which can only use the 10w-60 version.

The BMW LL-01 5w-30 has no equivalent on the market, Castrol specially formulated the oil for BMW. It's unlike any other 5w-30 on the market, it acts more like a 40 weight oil, same can be said for the BMW LL-01 10w-60, it also has no equivalent on the market, special blend from Castrol for BMW. It is on the lighter side, close to a 50 weight. BMW LL-01 spec-ed for HTHS, high temperature high shear rating of > 3.5, API SM and ACEA A3 rating, Castrol TWS, RS 10w-60 doesn't meet the SM rating but it has the A3 rating and shear strength > 3.5, which is why they're spec-ed as alternative for BMW LL-01 10w-60. But to him the BMW LL-01 10w-60 is still the better oil. (Company line?)

BMW spec blends the 5w-30 heavier than normal for the extended oil change interval, it also spec-ed the 10w-60 lighter so it flows better. In practical terms these 2 oils are a lot closer in characteristics than their number indicated.

There aren't many oil that can meet the BMW LL-01 spec, especially the A3 spec, most are A1, some company sent their oil to BMW for testing and get approved and those are on the approved list and it's a short one. Castrol's own 5w-30 doesn't meet the spec but their 0w-30 does, Go figures.

When in doubt, buy BMW LL-01 oil from dealers.

For colder climate locations the default oil will be the 5w-30 because of the better cold flow characteristic, for warmer climate the 5w or 10w rating makes no difference, BUT this is the interesting part, BMW LL-01 10w-60 retails almost double the price of the BMW LL-01 5w-30, higher margin for the dealers, the margin is there and doesn't matter if the customer pays or they bill BMW back for no-charge service. He said he is not surprised that the 10w-60 is getting quoted, but to the engine either one is fine because of the LL-01 rating.

In summary, as long as the LL-01 spec is met, it doesn't matter what oil is put in the engine. This pretty much clears up any confusion now I think.

BMW is like the weirdo in car industry, they are the only one with their own blend of oil, Porsche uses off the shelf Mobil 1 and AMG also, even Ferrari uses Shell 'standard' Helix oil. Even funnier when you consider BMW 'recommends' Castrol and Castrol makes the BMW oil but not many of Castrol's standard products are BMW approved. Can't they make life simpler uses off the shelf Castrol products?

Anyway, whatever he replied pretty much nullified the last page worth of posts in this thread on theoretical oil physics, but I am extremely happy about the clarification as my 997Turbo uses the Mobil 1 0w-40 and it is on the LL-01 approved list, so I can stock just one kind of oil for all my cars. The Mobil 1 0w-40 is pretty much the best oil there is anyway, it has all the important certifications from BMW, Porsche and Mercedes AMG.
Appreciate 0