04-16-2024, 09:11 PM   #7824
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
His article nothing I didn't already know. I too find the hypocrisy in EVs, I do not like the forced change by government, am amused by so many automakers jumping in head first and all in on EVs only now to be losing their a$$ on that decision, etc. I love my ICE vehicles. I also understand that EVs do have their place, and a useful place at that, for large groups of society. It's good to have choices and options. If it takes government incentives to convince people to initially adopt EVs, so be it. The future is a combination of ICE, EV, fuel cell, hybrid, etc. We do need EVs and we do need people to buy them in order for the technology to advance.

I also chuckle reading all the doom and gloom posts by Car-Addicted and Weather Man. Sure, there's truth to some of those articles and what they are saying, but they are clearly on one side of the fence. For me, just like politics, I sit squarely in the middle. I observe, research, learn, and make my decisions. Sometimes this thread reads like a CNN and Fox News article. Loud, unintentionally funny, annoying, hypocritical, and heavily biased.
Your comments got me thinking about the Pontiac Fiero. In many ways, I see the Fiero as a microcosm of the EV. The Fiero was developed by GM to be a inexpensive commuter car. 2 seats, small, easy to park, good fuel mileage, durable space frame design with a durable plastic body. It was a new direction for GM. A new architecture that was easily adaptable to market desires. It had some initial design flaws and production quality issues, but it sold very well. Only until the market for it bought it out and leveled off. The Fiero was meant to be a 2nd commuter car for the family, with the more practical vehicle left for the big sedan or wagon for family hauling duty. In the end, there just wasn't a large enough market for the Fiero to sustain it.

I think the EV market has stagnated. I think the majority of EV owners have bought their EV. The rest of the market doesn't have the interest. I don't think the market needs a mix of alternate fuel vehicles simply because gasoline (and) diesel answer nearly 100% of the market's full needs.

You say you are amused by all the automakers jumping in head first, yet say on the other hand we need EV buyers to advance the technology. And that's the problem, there is no natural economic auto market to sustain EV technology development without massive government investment. The EV market HAS to be forced upon us, because most of the market sees no point in paying a higher vehicle price for less service, and at no real lifecycle cost savings.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-17-2024 at 06:24 AM..
Appreciate 5
kyriian890.50
eugenebmw1573.00
M5Rick61288.50