View Single Post
      06-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bammered View Post
To be honest...alot of people i know buying $70,000 + vehicles won't be concerned with gas prices, Big V8 engined vehicles still sell in europe despite their astronomical petrol prices, albeit they sell alot less...And im sure that this new 4.4 ltr turbo V8 will be both more economical and way more powerful. I mean its .4 of a liter smaller in displacement plus twin turbo chargers and more advanced software. And whats the big deal if gas goes up 2 bucks? Gas going from $5 to $7 dollars a gallon only adds about $1000 dollars to my yearly fuel prices for my 12 gallon ///M Coupe with about 4 fillups per month. Over a whole year is that really too much of an increase to stop enjoying my ///M?
Atleast not in my opinion.
I don't think it is the PRICE of gas that will give wealthy people some pause.

It will the monthly operating costs of these vehicles will exceed their lease/finance payments. The first time in history where your M3 lease payment might be $1000 per month, and the fuel, insurance, tires are $1500 per month with fuel taking the largest piece of the pie.

The wealthy are not using their power boats like they used to. Living in San Diego, I see them all parked and gathering dust in the harbor.

You need to keep in mind, that when gas hits $7 per gallon several things go up along with it.

1. Transportation costs.
2. Food costs.
3. Energy, electrical, natural gas costs.
4. Water costs, uses electricity to be pumped.

$7 per gallon gas will actually cost you around $5k per year more. You just don't realize it yet.

Hawaii gets it. They are currently paying $12 for a gallon of orange juice.