09-22-2023, 12:32 PM   #107
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
^^ you seem to be under the impression the majority of Americans are forced to go to college in one way or another and have at least a bachelor’s degree. About 2/3 of the adult population in the U.S. manages to find a job without the benefit of having a four year college degree. Only about 1/3 of the adult U.S. population attains at least a bachelor’s degree. I don’t disagree with you there is a lot of family and societal pressure to attend college, but the fact is the vast majority of Americans make it through life without a four year college degree.

I do think the popularity of college football in particular creates an impression during football season that every college aged person in the country is enrolled in one college or another.
Read the job requirements for most jobs. Degree or X-years experience. How does one get experience if experience is required? The fallback is the degree, or, I guess, the military. Even when I graduated HS in 1974, college was expected of me. I lasted one semester and joined the Navy (neither of my parents went to college and my dad's twin was a Navy vet). Thankfully, the Navy (indirectly) gave me a very good career.

Take out a loan and be responsible to pay it back, no matter what the purpose. My daughter worked, saved her money and paid for her own Masters in Accounting. Granted, it took longer than the 4-years from college, but she is debt-free; well, except for the house she and her husband purchased. My son, on the other hand, decided he didn't need to pay his loan back and stuck us with it as I foolishly cosigned his "student" loan. Turns out it was a personal loan for student purposes. The paperwork I signed said student loan .

Not everybody should go to college (higher-level indoctrination centers) anyway. some, like me, aren't cut-out for it.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615467.50