04-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #34
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I'm referrencing engine tech more than general car tech. I've always been drawn to BMW because of their engines, and //M cars because 100+ HP/Liter is the expectation for //M cars. Don't get me wrong, AMG engines are nice and sound SICK, but IMO, the Corvette engine is more impressive to me given how much power it generates from VERY LOW TECH, and get great mileage- obviously some of that is due to the gearing. The engine is also VERY tunable and there's a ton of power with simple bolt ons.

BMW has made Magnesium bound to aluminum engines, tri-turbo diesels, and were the first that I saw to produced 100 HP/Liter in a diesel. Lets not forget NO THROTTLE BODY in their current engines due to valvtronic. This is just a few engine innovations from the top of my head. I haven't read muc in terms of truely revolutionary engine tech from MB in a while. If there is something, I'd like an update.

I'm think BMW "pre-charge" in the F8x, would help keeping the turbo spinning. I agree that an electric motor would "torque fill" (McLaren term) nicely down low, but the added weight of the battery would be a downer.

I agree about the current BMW's not standing out like in the past, but the SLS is pretty fat for a super car, IMO. The engine also doesn't make 100 hp/L.

An engine making 100hp/L doesn't define how good of a car or engine it is. It may make for great for ego jerking at the bar with your friends, but other then that, it means nothing. The SLS BS will keep up with Ferrari F12's around various tracks, and while it's porky, what fat super car can go from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0