serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
A couple points:
When you quick-press the DSC button once, it actually ENABLES DTC mode. DTC = dynamic traction control. Before that, you would have had NORMAL traction control. After pressing the button, you now have DYNAMIC traction control. Dynamic = allows more wheel spin.
DSC still keeps an eye on you, but lets you play more.

When you press and hold the DSC button for about 7 seconds, you effectively DISABLE dynamic stability control (DSC) completely. All bets are off here.

I wouldn't be driving with DTC ON all the time. IMHO, it is better to have full traction control (not dynamic) while moving, to prevent tail from sliding out, etc. But when there's a need to get out of deep snow (or sand beach), DTC should be ON to allow wheel spin.
I stopped once on soft sand beach. Started going and traction control stalled my engine. Remembered about DTC, pushed the button, press the gas and easily got out.

P.S. Half the youtube videos, where X5 gets stuck in snow or sand, the idiot owner does not push the DSC button to allow wheel spin. The other half - 20" summer wheels and tires.
Appreciate 1
Jars914658.00