View Single Post
      01-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #34
dan4tuc58
Workaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 X5; 08 535; 08 135; 09 335

Cool uhhh

I think i should chime in because although I don't own one, I do have an x5 and have used (swapped cars with) our extended family's x6 a few times and got one as a loaner when servicing my 5.

This car is expensive but it has plenty of technology that satisfies and justifies the expense IMO. It's got PDC cameras so you dont need to see out the rear for that purpose. Who does that anymore? really... and the line of sight out the rear is comparable to a 1 series convertible which we have as well...you get used to it all...and you set your side mirrors out enough to compensate for any lack of sight.

The iDrive is easy as sh*t to use...and there is a split screen option...but i guess it is a technology leap for those that are not inclined to learn and need geek squad to setup their tv's at home haha.

As far as handling - it handles great and pulls away amazingly on the highway...you wouldnt drive those other rx types this way... (not to mention it has a great exhaust note).
Out of the box the x5 does better with no need for a tire swap for most thing for dirt hills and off-road camping (used it a few times) but when you have these x6 sport tires...you just need to swap - it's a no-brainer. And having taken the x6 to big bear multiple times - there were no issues at all doing so... and we had plenty of room. When using it for beach camping there is no problem. Using it to go bike riding or hiking is no problem. Typical activities give you no problem not many go off-roading in these cars... if that's your thing, you buy something else...but light off-road stuff is easily handled...i laughed my ass off seeing those tests...the show is really funny and i was just waiting for a Rover to pop up to show the bias.

The body styling is meaner and more robust than the x5 which i like and gives you more of a luxury suv that you can still tool around in on weekends. You can take this x6 to the office and it looks badass and still use it on the weekends with friends or your kids for...wait for it....sports activities...hence the SAV that the x6 is... it's more of a competitor with (like someone already said) an RX, Q, MDX and all those "useless" types of vehicles. Why? because i know people that own the aforementioned because they are cheap and look good enough and have no real alternative without going over the top with a Porsche or a very reliable Rover ...but once you see the x6 and use it and judge the handling and the extra options (stuff like ventilated seats which are awesome)...one is willing to pay that extra amount - to have what one can get in other more affordable models and also get the extras that a luxury model (of those lesser vehicles) can provide.

I found / find it useful and it looks amazing - which means others must as well.

Side note:
If we think about it, I would go as far as to say that all 6 series vehicles have less practicality than other series' but there are people that buy them without thinking twice. It's a niche car like someone else said. But we need to remember that we all are part of niche classes as well. In our own 1's 3's or 5's etc...we all have different customizations that set us apart into a smaller group (ie black exterior red interior). And BMW can see that everyone wants to be different and sees the opportunity to fill the product gaps and can afford to do so because once you have a BMW you are likely to be loyal to the brand for many years. They know you will upgrade in one way or another and provide those unique choices to choose from. After you start in a 1series or 3series and grow older while driving a BMW, you want to get into a 5series or a different series to experience the different ideas and adventures that every chassis / series brings.
Soooo you choose the x6 because sometimes you need a luxury vehicle that is not really a SUV but looks better than one and is higher up like one...that you can do your physical health activities with, and still take it to the office to be admired by coworkers while being capable of outperforming the sea of mainstream sedans and Rx & Q types that are in the parking lot.
Haha sorry for the rant...just bored
Appreciate 0